And here it is.
Dear Mom and Dad,
I have thought about sending you letters via regular mail or email. I always wrote J. and N. once a week regular mail, because that was what they wanted, something tangible. The ethereal nature of the internet makes me wonder if I should do that again. But I'm more used to blogging now. I know I have a day on our family blog--Thursday--but I think I want to write you more often than once a week, and I don't want to clutter the family blog with all the boring stuff I want to say. I will have DH stick this blog in our family blog's sidebar, so you can check there for new posts.
Because this is a public blog I'm going to use annoying pseudonyms like "DH" as often as I remember. I'll be identifying my kids by their ages instead of names. This is annoying but I am sure you'll know who I'm talking about. I sincerely hope none of us has any creepy stalkers, but in the event that they do, this will make things slightly more difficult for them. I also don't plan to post pictures on this blog--I'll put them on the family blog, I think.
Today I am tired, because DH is gone to Scout camp and I am always short-tempered by the end of the day when he's gone. He just barely did the weekend by himself, so it's my turn, but I am still grouchy. I spent a while tonight practicing the piano in sections with 9. After his recital Saturday, the director of the piano place invited him to learn his piece better and participate in a competition in October. This means that 1-all the work I did getting him ready for the recital paid off--yay!, and 2-We are going to have to live with this song till October. Dang. If he is going to practice the right way, it will be because I sat down with him and did it, at least at this point. He has developed lazy practice habits because he has a good enough ear that he hasn't needed to really learn every single note. I know what I need to do to help, but it takes. so. long. And makes it hard for me to get other things done. And 6 and 4 always bug me because they want that kind of attention too. And it creates tension between us, because he just doesn't want to take it a section at a time. But he's pretty good, and when he does practice right the results are impressive.
I really liked the dream A. posted. So far, in spite of my emotionalness Sunday, the water has been warm for me too. Last Wednesday night, the day you went to the MTC, I was doing the dishes and felt overwhelmed by a strong sense of your love for me. I have not felt anything quite like that since I was a missionary. It was as though the Spirit communicated your love to me, more powerfully than if we were together in person.
DH had a job interview today, and he thinks it went pretty well. The company is hiring several testers. It's kind of complicated the way it works--one of the contracts they have is with the Church, and so if he works on that contract he has to be interviewed by the Church first. The guy he knows from Novell is in charge of all the testing, so we are hopeful that he will get an offer (funny story: this same guy was the one who had rented our very first apartment and then changed his mind, so if DH gets this new job his friend will have both found him a new apartment and found him another job). The company is called STG, and they are a small privately held company that does programming and testing contract work. They sound like a good company to me, because being privately held means you don't have to have layoffs as often, if ever.
DH's dad has been going up to Salt Lake often to take care of his dad. This has taken its toll, and he is pretty worn out. He needs an expensive amount of dental work done. We are thinking that maybe a reason that we felt like applying to law school was so that we could save enough money to fund the dentist and still have something left in savings. That is only a very slight exaggeration.
The cousins came over for a little while this morning. They are cute kids. It's fun to see them play together.
We went to the library this afternoon for a puppet show. When we were checking out, 4 kept on using his feet to push the stroller all over the place. Someone I know was right next to us, and I was just so mad at 4 because I was trying to check out quickly but also keep track of the books. If you don't keep track, then you go to walk out the door and something beeps and you have to do it all over again. I know this from sad experience. But I couldn't keep track of books and 4 at the same time. So 4 kept on being a pill and I was getting madder and madder and embarrassed to be mad in front of my friend, and really pretty ticked off. I have no idea how to make him mind me in this kind of situation. He ignores me completely and just does whatever he wants. I punished him by not giving him a popsicle, but he didn't really care.
I was reading this morning about spiritual gifts in Moroni 10, and thinking about how President Uchtdorf promised Dad with all the spiritual gifts he would need. Anything at all, if you need it, you can ask for it, because it's inherent in your blessing. We have been praying about the gift of administration and speaking Chinese. Let us know how these things go.
That's all for now. This is a different kind of blog than my other one. I'm not going to try for literary or pithy, just the daily kind of stuff I would tell you if I were talking to you on the phone. I love you very much and hope your first day is excellent. I'd love a full report when you have time. 6 wants to Skype with you sometime soon.
much love,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment